As you start the new year and think about getting things sorted you may find that you need the services of a handwriting expert.
If you have been searching for a forensic handwriting examiner then you are probably aware of what these services involve, but if you are unclear or are wondering whether a handwriting expert can help you, here is some useful information.
What is a handwriting expert?
A handwriting expert specialises in using forensic techniques and specialist equipment to determine whether a document has been written or signed by the claimed person.
Who might need a forensic handwriting examiner?
A handwriting examiner provides services to both members of the public and legal professionals, working on behalf of their clients and typically in criminal, civil and family cases.
Graphologist or forensic handwriting expert?
To help you find the right expert, you first need to understand the difference between graphology and forensic handwriting analysis:
Graphology claims to distinguish personality and character traits from handwriting styles, based on the fact everyone has their own unique writing style. There are no scientific studies to back up this discipline.
Forensic handwriting analysis, on the other hand, is a scientific process that undertakes the in-depth examination of the individual elements that make up our handwriting, including strokes, pen lifts, size, shape and slope of lettering and the spaces we leave between each character, and uses this analysis to determine authorship.
How can handwriting experts help you?
There are many scenarios in which you might need forensic handwriting analysis but the most common are:
- Suspecting a forged signature, on a will or another important document
- Receiving a malicious letter
- Needing to compare two signatures to see if they are written by the same person
- Needing to compare two documents to determine whether they are written by the same person
Why choose Cosslett and Barr?
If, after reading this, you think you are in need of handwriting examination services, there are many reasons why you should get in touch with us:
- Our qualifications – in addition to our undergraduate science degrees, we have trained within Government Laboratories following established operating procedures agreed throughout Europe and regularly partake in continuous professional development and proficiency trials.
- Our experience – we have extensive experience of giving evidence as handwriting experts in criminal and civil cases here in the UK and also overseas.
- Our areas of expertise – We provide a number of services to help you with the issues outlined in this blog, including handwriting examinations, signature comparison and examination of indented impressions.
If you believe a handwriting expert can help you this year, then please do get in touch with us on 0121 796 5355 or click here to send us an email and we’ll be happy to discuss our services further.